At this point in the film we don’t need to come and introduce you to YouTube as the most important video portal on the Internet no matter how much Facebook has tried to compete with it or how much you have other alternatives, such as Vimeo. What we can do is tell you that there are alternative apps to enjoy its contents and that’s exactly what SmartTube Next is all about.
A YouTube client for Android devices and Android TV
YouTube has its official app but what SmartTube offers is another way to access its contents through a different interface that aims to make the various services offered by the portal more usable. To do this, it has a very basic and simple design, to simplify as much as possible the actions that the user can carry out.
THESE ARE THE MAIN FUNCTIONS IT OFFERS:
- Navigate between specific contents divided into categories such as news, games or music.
- Navigate through your subscriptions, playlists or search and play history.
- Play videos (more).
- Like or dislike and subscribe to channels.
- Change your player usage options.
- Animated preview of the videos.
The browse fragment is what is used to display the browseable categories and options card. The Icon Header Item Presenter is used to setup and display the categories in the headers dock and Card Presenter is used to display the Video cards.
The Playback Activity is used to play the video from categories. Which used the PlaybackFragment to display the playback controls over the top of the PlaybackActivity.
The Search Fragment allows users to search for video by either tags or usernames.
HEADER GRID FRAGMENT
The Header Grid Fragment is used to show a grid of videos from either a Subscriptions or History.
Many of the screens used some of these custom components created especially for the needs of this app:
TEXT BADGE IMAGE CARD VIEW
Badge Card View
This view extends the ImageCardView class so that we add custom functionality. The functionality of this view is display a video preview of the video card that is currently in focus. It’s made up of the following components:
Text Badge Image View – This is a custom VideoView that automatically loops a video without sound.
- Run on Android 4.3 and above
- Browse News, Games, Music
- Browse Subscriptions, History, Playlists
- Play videos
- Like, Dislike or Subscribe for video
- Search for videos
- View subscribed channel content
- Change various settings for the video player
- Animated previews for videos
- Android TV channels and search support
The app works on both mobile devices and devices with Android TV, so you can download it to get more out of YouTube on your TV.
Leave a Reply